[Précédent (date)] [Suivant (date)] [Précédent (sujet)] [Suivant (sujet)] [Index par date] [Index par sujet]

Re: Repiqué

"Keith Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think that even if linux does not fail, someone might start over
> from scratch in 10 years.

I'm afraid it's going to be hard to make a new OS a serious contender in ten
years.

> Or HURD might be ready by then

HURD is certainly a good example ou what I mean. Year after year, the lines
of code add up and suddenly building a new OS appears like building the
pyramids.

> > Do you also think somebody could reinvent the
> > Concorde, the F-16 or the Space Shuttle in his backward?
>
> Doing these tasks requires much more material than inventing a kernel.

The matter is not material : ) The matter is if time is not money, a lot of
interest is needed. For now, there's not even enough interest to fix a few
glitches in the installation process...

> > Rather than think, I myself prefer to just consider the facts and draw
>> the conclusions.
>
> Are you saying that you'd rather not think?  ;-)

I'm saying most people can't even consider the facts and draw the
conclusions. So how can they think? Maybe we mostly just reverberate sound
and thinking is a rare occurrence. As I've already been called an
evangelist, I would like to recall what Christ said about thinking (approx.
translation from french):  "When you see the clouds, you say it's going to
rain. How come you can't recognize the signs of times?" And I'm afraid
people today don't even see the clouds. They watch TV all the time and
weather reports are off more often than not.

> Beyond this newsgroup thread, I seriously doubt that your and my
> efforts will overlap.  That's fine--you are free to market linux
> any way you want, and I am free not to do so, right?

Still I find there is a lack of cohesion. Maybe Linux should be considered
as a kernel in the largest sense of the term, as in the mustard seed
parable. (Umh... The evangelist rides again! But that's my conclusion,
merely looking at the clouds : )

These days, capitalists are so joyful shouting "We got the Reds!" but they
might end up "getting" themselves too. Our economy weighs heavily on third
world countries. Our economic success is mostly based on exploitation.
Making money by selling computers made in China to our people working in
"services" cannot last forever. Also, after September 11th, we discover how
our economy was based on confidence. Getting our litlle home grown
"democracy" off track is what the attack on the WTC has really achieved.

Based on a technology that shapes a new era, Linux is offering a new
economic model. People like Bob Red Hat the Young have tried reverting it to
the old model but, thanks to the GNU license, it won't work. Linux might
very well define a new way to work together. It's going to take time and
lots of trial and error, but there is more to Linux than just the kernel of
an OS. As such, in a capitalist economy, it will die.

So, I'm really looking forward to see everybody finding some way to make
efforts converge.

GP